If you or your child has suffered injuries due to a dog bite or other animal attack, the injuries can be quite severe with lasting damages, including permanent scarring. You have a right to seek damages for medical bills and pain and suffering, lost time at work and other damages. If your loved one has been killed by an animal attack, you have a right to seek compensation and damages for their wrongful death.
The dog bite injury attorneys at SMT Legal understand how frustrating and painful it is to suffer serious injuries from an animal attack. We believe that negligent pet owners should be held responsible for the actions of their pets. You should contact a personal injury lawyer regarding winning compensation for your injuries.
What To Do If You Have Suffered A Dog Bite Attack
- If a dog has attacked you or your child, seek immediate medical attention.
- Try to identify the dog and its owner. If you are bitten by a stray dog or unidentified dog, you may have to get painful rabies shots. Get the owner of the dog’s telephone number and/or address if at all possible.
- After you have identified the dog and its owner and you have received medical care, you will want to file a police report and start gathering evidence. Depending on where you live, you may file a report with your local police department or you may file one with an animal control board.
- You will also want to take photographs of your injuries and keep all medical documentation. Get the phone numbers and names of anyone who may have witnessed the attack. Also, ask your neighbors or anyone in the area where the attack happened if they know of anyone else who has been bitten by the same dog. This will build evidence for your case.
- Contact a personal injury attorney right away. Our dog bite injury attorneys do not charge any fees unless we win your case. We can provide you with information and answers to your initial questions in a free case evaluation. The longer you wait to call an attorney, the more difficult your case may be to win. In some circumstances, you may only have so many days to legally file a claim.
Dog Bite Injuries: Physical and Emotional
Injuries from a vicious dog attack can be quite severe, requiring multiple reconstructive surgeries, painful skin grafts and other medical treatments lasting for years. Other injuries could be less severe but still result in hospitalization due to skin infections, bacterial infections, open wounds, infective arthritis or a crushing injury or internal injury. The most severe injuries could result in death.
When a child is attacked by a dog it is most often their head and neck that are bitten. The treatment that may be necessary for reconstruction could go on for years and require multiple surgeries, procedures and skin grafting. And those are just the physical injuries. People and children who suffer from dog bites often are emotionally traumatized and can exhibit Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PSTD) symptoms and depression which can last for years and may require extensive psychiatric treatment.
Contact the Pittsburgh Dog Bite Attorneys at SMT Legal Today and Schedule Your Free Case Evaluation
Man’s best friend is usually good-natured, but under the wrong circumstances or the supervision of an irresponsible owner, a dog can become ferocious at a moment’s notice, leaving little time for the victim to escape or fend off the attacker, especially if that victim is a child.
We are here to answer your questions and help you determine what to do if you have been seriously injured by an animal. You may have a right to file a premises liability claim against the pet owner. We offer free case evaluations and we do not collect any out of pocket fees. We only get paid if you get paid. Contact us today for a free case evaluation.