Jonathan M. Stewart
Jonathan M. Stewart is the Managing Partner of SMT Legal. He dedicates his practice to helping others but serving victims and families who have lost loved ones in personal injury and wrongful death cases. He has achieved numerous verdicts and settlements in excess of $1 million and routinely handles complex injury and death cases involving large, multi-national defendants. He feels personally called to do this work due to his own life experience.
Approximately 20 years ago, Jonathan lost a good friend and two close family members tragically when they were killed by a drunk driver in a car accident. His brother was the lone survivor but suffered extensive injuries. He personally witnessed the hardship this caused for his own family and the other families involved. He now feels privileged to represent others like my friend and family members who have been injured or even killed through no fault of their own. Nothing makes him happier than making a difference in someone else’s life and the lives of their loved ones by aggressively pursuing the compensation that they rightly deserve.
Of working with him, his clients say, “Jonathan Stewart and his entire staff were remarkable from start to finish. They always answered my questions quickly and professionally no matter how many I needed to ask. I could not have asked for a more knowledgeable and efficient staff to handle my case. Jonathan always made sure to ask how I was doing and how my family was doing, like I was a lifelong friend.”
Jonathan graduated from Point Park University with a Bachelor of Arts in Political Science in 1997, with honors. Subsequently, he obtained a Master of Arts in Theology and Philosophy in from Pittsburgh Theological Seminary. He earned his Juris Doctor from Duquesne University School of Law in 2000 where he was a member of the Economic Development Clinic and participated in trial advocacy.
Having been recognized numerous times for his legal prowess and ethics by both his peers and clients across his career, Jonathan was selected for inclusion in both Pennsylvania Super Lawyers Rising Stars and Pennsylvania Super Lawyers. He has also been named one of America’s Top 100 Personal Injury Attorneys, a Top Personal Injury Attorney, and won Avvo’s Client’s Choice Award, among other honors. His case results achieved for his clients also landed him recognition in the nation’s Multi-Million Dollar and Million Dollar Advocates Forum.
In addition to being honored, he is routinely asked to speak on a variety of topics, including personal injury law, voir dire, litigation strategy, brain injuries, and more. Jonathan is a Fellow of the Allegheny County Academy of Trial Lawyers, a Civil Litigation Section Council Member of the Allegheny County Bar Association, on the Board of Governors for the Pennsylvania Association of Justice, a President’s Club Member of the Western Pennsylvania Trial Lawyers Association, and a member of various other legal industry groups.
Outside of work, Jonathan has traveled extensively internationally and nationally doing charitable work for underserved populations, children, and youth organizations. He enjoys spending time with his wife and five children. E-mail Jonathan at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Duquesne University School of Law, Juris Doctorate, 2000
- Member of the Economic Development Clinic
- Trial Advocacy
- Pittsburgh Theological Seminary, Master of Arts in Theology and Philosophy, 2015
- Point Park University, Bachelor of Arts in Political Science, with honors, 1997
- Pennsylvania, 2001
- West Virginia, 2021
- United States District Court for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania
- United States District Court for the Middle District of Pennsylvania
- United States District Court for the Western District of Pennsylvania
Memberships and Affiliations
- Allegheny County Academy of Trial Lawyers
- Allegheny County Bar Association
- Nominating Committee, 2023
- Civil Litigation Section Counsel
- Pennsylvania Association of Justice
- Board of Governors
- American Association for Justice
- Western Pennsylvania Trial Lawyers Association
- President’s Club Member
- The National Trial Lawyers Association
- Pennsylvania Bar Association
- Personal Injury Lawyer Association
- West Virginia Bar Association
Awards and Recognition
- Pennsylvania Super Lawyers, 2020 – 2022
- The National Trial Lawyers Association, Brain Injury Top 25, 2022
- Million Dollar Advocates Forum
- Multi-Million Dollar Advocates Forum
- America’s Top 100 Personal Injury Attorneys, 2019
- Best Rated Personal Injury Attorneys in Pittsburgh, 2019
- Top Personal Injury Attorney, Avvo, 2014 – Present
- Client’s Choice Award, Avvo, 2014 – Present
- Top Ten Personal Injury Attorneys in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania, National Academy of Personal Injury Attorneys, 2014
- Distinguished Meritorious Service Award, Workforce Development Global Alliance, 2013
- Pennsylvania Super Lawyers Rising Star, 2008
2001 – Present
24-7 Settlement Services
2016 – 2019
Point Park University
2007 – 2010
Borough of Homestead
2004 – 2010
- Plaintiffs’ Tactics for Catastrophic Injury Claims: When the Stakes Are High Give it All You’ve Got, National Business Institute, 2023
- Plaintiff’s Guide: PA Personal Injury from Start to Finish, National Business Institute, 2021
- Voir Dire Practice in Allegheny County, Allegheny County Bar Association, 2020
- Traumatic Brain Injury Cases: Doctor and Attorney Perspectives, National Business Institute, 2019
- Litigating Civil Cases From Start to Finish, National Business Institute, 2019
- Plaintiff’s Personal Injury: The Ultimate Guide, National Business Institute, 2018
- Practical Skills You Don’t Learn in Law School: A Potential Client Walks In The Door – Now What?, Inaugural Skills Training For Young Lawyers, Allegheny County Bar Association, 2017
- Legal Advice For Undocumented Workers, Free Legal Forum For Illegal Aliens, 2015
- Legal Minds, Television Panel Discussion, 2013
- Introduction to the American Judicial System, Emmanuel Theological Seminary, 2008
- Practicing Plaintiff’s Law, Classroom Series, 2008
“Immutable Rules of Trial Practice,” Lawyers Journal, 2017.
- Jaime’s Dream Team, Board Member, The organization provides assistance to individuals who are handicapped, disabled, terminally ill, severely injured, or suffering from a serious medical condition, disease, or trauma.
- Workforce Development Global Alliance (WDGA), Founding Board Member, The group promotes education to employability for economically and socially disadvantaged youth both locally and internationally.
- For Blossoming Israel, Board Member, Israeli NGO established to oversee an archeological dig-site in the Southern Negev of Israel.
- Hand in Hand, Former Board Member, An urban non-profit to continue the legacy of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. in the promotion of racial harmony.
- Ascension School, Former Board Member, An urban grade school established to provide superior educational services to lower income families.
- Certified coach for girls’ lacrosse and has coached two of his daughters’ teams
- Assists in many youth activities as a coach or assistant coach