Christopher P. Thomas
Christopher P. “Chris” Thomas has been a Partner with SMT Legal since 2011, focusing his practice on criminal defense. Chris has worked in the legal industry since 2001, working on both high-profile media cases as well as working with his fellow community members in need of assistance. He enjoys representing clients in criminal matters because he gets to meet people from all walks of life that find themselves in difficult – often crisis – situations, many times due to actions that were out of their control.
He gets to know his clients and connects with them at a very core level in order to make them feel safe and comfortable with his representation as well to provide the personal service needed to get the best result possible for each situation. Chris is a firm believer in second chances and redemption and many of the people he has met across his career are good folks who haven’t had the best shot at life and may not have been guided toward making ideal choices. He also finds the criminal justice system preys upon the marginalized people in our society and he is proud to have the chance to stand up and fight for those who can’t fight for themselves.
Chris has worked on cases for professional athletes and coaches from the Pittsburgh Steelers, Pittsburgh Pirates, and Pittsburgh Penguins. Included among his distinguished clientele are members of Super Bowl, World Series, Stanley Cup, and Olympic Championship teams. He has also represented professional boxers, wrestlers, golfers, soccer pros, college athletes, rock stars, published authors, doctors, lawyers, and politicians. He has significant experience working with high profile cases that have been featured on ESPN, CNN, Good Morning America, and the evening news of all four major networks.
He graduated from Point Park University with a Bachelor of Arts in Political Science, cum laude in 2001. During college, he served as Vice President of the Student Government. Subsequently, he earned his law degree from Duquesne University School of Law in 2005. During law school, Chris was a member of the Economic Development Clinic and Trial Advocacy program.
Chris has been awarded numerous legal industry accolades, including being selected as a Pennsylvania Super Lawyers Rising Star and as one of the American Institute of Criminal Law Attorney’s 10 Best. He is a member of the Pennsylvania Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers, Allegheny County Bar Association, Harvard Yale Princeton Club, and Pennsylvania Bar Association.
He enjoys singing and playing the guitar, for many years, as a part of a Jazz Band or for his charity work involving the Youth at Greater Love Ministries in Homestead.
- Duquesne University School of Law, Juris Doctorate, 2005
- Member of the Economic Development Clinic and Trial Advocacy program
- Point Park University, Bachelor of Arts in Political Science, cum laude, 2001
- Student Government, Vice President
- Work-Study Program, Government and International Studies Department
- Pennsylvania, 2010
- United States District Court for Western District of Pennsylvania
Memberships and Affiliations
- Pennsylvania Bar Association
- Allegheny County Bar Association
- Harvard Yale Princeton Club
- Pennsylvania Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers
Awards and Recognition
- Pennsylvania Super Lawyers Rising Star, 2017 – 2020
- American Institute of Criminal Law Attorney’s 10 Best, 2019
- National Trial Lawyers Top 100 Trial Lawyers, 2019
- Global Directory of Who’s Who Top Lawyer Award, 2019
- National Trial Lawyers Top 40 under 40, 2017
2011 – Present
Dickie, McCamey & Chilcote, P.C.
Law Clerk and Attorney
2001 – 2011
- Greater Love Ministries, Founder and President
- Regular speaker to the Youth of the Mon-Valley Region about career and life choices as they prepare for the future