Ryan Gailey joined SMT Legal in 2022 as a trial lawyer handling criminal defense, bankruptcy, personal injury, and family law. Prior to his career as an attorney, he spent approximately 10 years in law enforcement and corrections. As a Detective Captain and during his career, Ryan received many hours of specialized criminal training, including courses with the Pennsylvania Department of Transportation, United States Department of Transportation, Miami Dade Police Department Homicide Bureau, Pennsylvania State Police, Federal Bureau of Investigation, United States Department of Justice Bureau of Justice Assistance, National Tactical Officers Association, Pennsylvania Tactical Officers Association, and more.
In addition to his criminal justice experience, he has also handled cases involving trusts, estates, and probate, Chapter 7, Chapter 11, and Chapter 13 bankruptcy, and more.
Ryan graduated from California University of Pennsylvania with a Bachelor of Arts in Legal Studies with a Concentration in Jurisprudence, summa cum laude, in 2018. Subsequently, he earned his Juris Doctor from Western New England School of Law, cum laude, in 2021 on a Merit Scholarship.
Ryan graduated law school early and won seven CALI Excellence for the Future Awards, academic honors for achieving the highest grades in Lawyering Skills, Electronic Discovery, Products Liability, Juvenile Justice, UCC Survey, Advanced Legal Analysis, and Criminal Procedure Simulation.
Becoming licensed to practice in Pennsylvania in 2021, Ryan is also admitted to practice in the United States District Court for the Western District of Pennsylvania and the Bankruptcy Courts in the Western District of Pennsylvania. He is a member of the Allegheny County Bar Association, Pennsylvania Bar Association, and Beaver County Bar Association.
As a lifelong western Pennsylvania resident, Ryan believes in ensuring the commonwealth does its job while protecting the rights of the clients he represents by presenting the best possible case. He also knows it’s possible to do a great job while remaining professional because he adheres to the mantra that it costs nothing to be nice.
- Western New England School of Law, Juris Doctorate, cum laude, 2021
- Merit Scholarship
- Dean’s List
- CALI Excellence for the Future Awards:
- Western New England University, Lawyering Skills, Spring 2018
- Western New England University, Electronic Discovery, Fall 2020
- Western New England University, Products Liability, Fall 2020
- Western New England University, Juvenile Justice, Fall 2020
- Western New England University, Advanced Legal Analysis, Spring 2020
- Western New England University, Criminal Procedure Simulation, Spring 2020
- Western New England University, UCC Survey, Spring 2020
- California University of Pennsylvania, Bachelor of Arts in Legal Studies with a Concentration in Jurisprudence, summa cum laude, 2018
- Pennsylvania, 2021
- United States District Court for the Western District of Pennsylvania
- Bankruptcy Courts in the Western District of Pennsylvania
MEMBERSHIPS AND AFFILIATIONS
- Beaver County Bar Association
- Allegheny County Bar Association
- Pennsylvania Bar Association
AWARDS AND RECOGNITION
- Beaver County District Attorney’s Patrolman James Naim Award St. Titus Sexual Assault Case, 2014
- City of Aliquippa Distinguished Service Award Meritorious Service, 2012
September 2022 – present
Lawrence County Criminal Court
May 2018 – December 2022
Gailey Law Offices, PLLC
Founder / Attorney
April 2021 – September 2022
Weiner Law Firm, PC
Chapter 7 Bankruptcy Trustee Law Clerk
2019 – 2021
Committee for Public Counsel Services (CPCS)
Law Enforcement Officer
2008 – 2018
Detective Captain, 2014 – 2018
Patrolman, 2011 – 2014