Injured in a Car Accident in Pittsburgh?
Car accidents are very traumatic, especially when you or a loved one is severely injured or if a loved one is killed. Car accidents are one of the leading causes of death in the United States.
Car accidents don’t just wreck cars; they also wreck lives, sometimes forever. Even if injuries are slight and recovery is likely, it is stressful to deal with physical ailments that could last a lifetime if proper treatment isn’t provided because insurance companies won’t fully cover medical expenses. That is why, at SMT Legal, our Pittsburgh car accident lawyers do everything possible to get you the money you deserve and recover what you are owed for your injuries.
A fender bender may not send you to the hospital, but it is common for car accident injuries to worsen hours after the incident. Small accidents could cause severe pain for years, especially back and neck pain, making everyday activities difficult if not impossible.
Not only are car accidents traumatic because of physical injuries, but they are emotionally stressful because of insurance companies, medical bills, time lost at work, along with many other family and social barriers that a damaged vehicle and a broken body cause.
Pittsburgh Car Accidents
It is important that if you have been injured in a car accident that was not your fault to contact an attorney right away. Proving who is at fault is critical and the sooner witness statements, evidence, medical examinations, and other important information can be collected and investigated, the stronger the possibility of a winnable case.
Experienced car accident lawyers at SMT Legal investigate every aspect of the accident. If there were unsafe road conditions, missing traffic signs, or defective traffic signals, the evidence needs to be explored.
Insurance companies will try to negotiate with you, and they will try to pay the least amount in damages as possible. As you are probably well aware, the insurance company is not your friend. It often takes a team of experienced lawyers who understand the legal system in order to fight for your legal right to have full compensation for your damages, medical bills, and pain and suffering.
We are compassionate motor vehicle accident attorneys who are here to listen and understand your circumstances and then answer your questions and give you good legal advice. We want to make a positive difference in your life.
Oftentimes victims will reluctantly accept the first sum of money offered by insurance companies because they don’t want to deal with the hassle of fighting them. But insurance companies are always going to try to keep more than what you are really owed. We understand how serious damages from a car accident can be and we will aggressively fight the insurance companies for the compensation you deserve.
Pennsylvania Car Accident Statistics
Data available from the Pennsylvania Department of Transportation shows that there were more than 125,000 total vehicle crashes during the latest reporting year across the Commonwealth. Out of these crashes, whenever there were:
- 1,059 total collision fatalities
- 4,680 suspected serious injuries
- 35,539 suspected minor injuries
- 15,188 possible injuries
What to Do After a Car Accident
The steps you take after a motor vehicle crash will tremendously affect the outcome of your case. If you sit there and do nothing, refuse to seek medical attention at the scene, admit fault to the other party, flee the scene, fail to call the police, fail to contact an experienced attorney, or make any other mistake, you risk not getting compensated for your injury or substantially reducing the total value of your personal injury case.
However, in some car crashes, the victim cannot do much at the scene of the car accident because of the severity of their injury. That is especially true in the event of head-on collisions, the most severe and fatal type of motor vehicle accidents in our state. Our legal experts have previously covered everything you need to know about head-on crashes in our blog.
Fact: Each year, there are about 5,000 head-on accidents on the roads of Pittsburgh and elsewhere in Pennsylvania, according to the Pennsylvania Department of Transportation.
Here are the steps you should take after a car crash to ensure that you are on the right track to a speedy recovery as well as to strengthen your legal case:
- Step 1: Seek medical attention at the scene regardless of the severity of your injury. Get a complete examination even if you think that you were not injured in the crash (keep in mind that a rush of adrenaline may be masking the symptoms of your injury).
- Step 2: Call the police and wait for their arrival. The police report will serve as the key evidence in your car accident claim and will be used by your Pittsburgh car accident attorney to prepare your personal injury claim.
- Step 3bGather evidence at the scene of the crash. Collect all types of evidence available at the scene. Write down contact information for every party involved, including the witnesses. Obtain the other motorist’s name, address, phone number, license number, and insurance information.
- Step 4: Take photographs of the scene of the accident, especially the damage done to the vehicles, the skid marks, the positioning of the vehicles, and wide shots of the entire scene.
- Step 5: When talking to the other party, police officers, or insurance company agents, do not admit liability. Your words will be used against you to deny your claim or minimize the value of your personal injury claim, so be careful about your choice of words.
- Step 6: Contact a skilled car accident lawyer in Pittsburgh or elsewhere in Pennsylvania to assess your case promptly, launch an investigation, collect more evidence, and prepare a strong legal case to obtain maximum compensation.
Common Pittsburgh Car Accident Injuries
At SMT Legal, our Pittsburgh car accident lawyers help clients who have sustained a wide range of injuries in these incidents. We regularly assist those who have sustained injuries, including the following:
- Broken and dislocated bones
- Severe lacerations or puncture wounds
- Traumatic brain injuries
- Open head wounds
- Spinal cord injuries with paralysis
- Other severe neck or back injuries, including whiplash
- Internal organ damage
- Internal bleeding
Often, crash victims report long-lasting feelings of anxiety, fear, depression, and even symptoms of post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD). Our team is dedicated to helping clients deal with and secure conversations for both their physical and non-physical injuries after a crash.
Pennsylvania’s No-Fault System
Every motorist in Pennsylvania is required by law to have a minimum amount of auto insurance: $5,000 for medical benefits, and $15,000 per person for liability coverage, and $30,000 per accident for liability coverage.
With Pennsylvania’s No Fault Auto Insurance Act, even if someone else caused your injuries, your own insurance company is required to pay your medical bills and lost wages up to those no-fault limits.
However, if your medical bills and lost wages exceed these amounts, you have the right to try to recover those costs as well as the cost of pain and suffering from the person who caused the accident or their insurance company.
Our experienced lawyers handle a variety of car accident injury cases, including:
- Rear End Collisions
- Passenger Injuries
- Uninsured / Underinsured Motorists
- Texting While Driving or Distracted Driving
- Multi-Vehicle Accidents
- Rollover Accidents
- DUI Accidents
- Construction Zone Auto Accidents
- Uber Accidents / Ridesharing Accidents
- Rental Car Accidents
We understand your rights and how to fight for the money you deserve. We have a team of lawyers, investigators, and field experts who work together to build a strong case for our clients.
We are successful because our car accident lawyers have had the experience of working on both sides of motor vehicle accident cases for plaintiffs as well as defendants. This has given us an advantage in representing our clients against insurance companies. Our attorneys are not just here to collect a paycheck – we are here to make a difference.
Our goal is to achieve the best possible outcome and try to get the maximum compensation you deserve.
In Pennsylvania, where nearly 130,000 car crashes are reported to the police each year, more than 80,000 people get injured while over 1,100 others die in motor vehicle accidents, according to the Pennsylvania Department of Transportation.
That means that on average, 220 people get injured in car accidents in Pittsburgh and all across Pennsylvania every single day. Being in a motor vehicle collision is a horrifying, stressful, and traumatic experience, especially if you get injured in that crash and have no idea what happens next, whether you will be able to work and provide for yourself and your family financially, whether you will be able to enjoy the activities you used to enjoy before the accident, etc.
As you can imagine, the train of thought after sustaining a car accident injury can be quite frustrating, confusing, and overwhelming. It is paramount that you get answers to certain complex questions to understand what’s going on and what comes next.
How to Choose a Pittsburg Car Accident Lawyer
There are many things to consider when picking a car crash lawyer to represent you in your legal case. It’s critical that your attorney possess all of the following qualities:
- In-depth knowledge of federal and state laws and their effect on your particular case.
- Understanding of your medical needs.
- Understanding of the impact of the accident and injury on your personal and work life.
- Previous experience with similar cases.
- Proven track record of winning cases similar to yours.
- Willingness to provide free consultations.
- Commitment to winning your case.
- Ability to negotiate with insurance companies and advocate for your best interests.
- Access to resources to gather sufficient evidence and prepare your case for a jury.
- Preparedness to cover all the costs of your trial.
There are quite a few benefits of being represented by a lawyer after a car accident in Pittsburgh. Contact our Pittsburgh car accident lawyers at SMT Legal to discuss your case.