You should never have to worry about being injured in a pedestrian crash caused by the actions of a careless or negligent driver. Unfortunately, the team at SMT Legal knows that these incidents are not uncommon. Our Pittsburgh pedestrian accident lawyers have extensive experience handling these claims. If you or someone you care about has been injured in a pedestrian accident, let us help you secure the compensation you are entitled to.
The Dangers of Walking Downtown in Pittsburgh
While downtown Pittsburgh has a walkability score of 95, the greater Pittsburgh area as a whole has a walkability score of only 62. Walkability scores are a great way to get a feel for what a city has to offer for pedestrians.
For example, walkability scores can indicate that a city has amenities like grocery stores, restaurants, and robust infrastructure that is easily accessible on foot. And why not walk? Especially when getting into a car accident is more likely to occur than getting into an accident as a pedestrian – or is it?
Unfortunately, Pittsburgh can be just as dangerous for pedestrians as those who drive. It is easy to get distracted by all the history that downtown has to offer, but one must stay alert when walking across the street or crosswalks. Pittsburgh drivers need to be more alert of pedestrians who are using the proper crosswalks and signals at the intersection.
Over the past few years, research shows that most pedestrian accidents occurred in intersections. This means that cars are not paying attention to people as they walk across the streets. Conversely, people may not be paying attention to cross signals and potentially jaywalking onto the streets without using proper safety precautions.
What To Do After a Pedestrian Accident
When a car hits you, the bumper usually strikes between the lower torso and the knees. Depending on how fast the car is going, you can be flown onto the hood or simply knocked over. Either way, being hit by a moving vehicle means that you may have to deal with knee, arm, shoulder, and or head injuries. These injuries may be minor or more severe like a broken bone or traumatic brain injury that could leave you with a permanent injury.
If you are hit by a car and are still conscious, there are a few steps we recommend you take:
- Try to remain calm and call 911 immediately. Sometimes when people are hit they do not feel the injury until their boost in adrenaline has subsided.
- Try to move minimally until medical attention gets to you.
- Ensure that others are safe around you and you are removed from any future accidents.
- Make sure that the car stays parked in the position where it hit you. If the car tries to drive away then it is considered a hit and run. Make sure to always get the license plate and insurance information from the driver.
- Gather as much information as you can via photographs or interviews from witnesses. The more information you can gather the better as it will help prove your injuries in the long run.
- Reach out to a Pittsburgh pedestrian accident attorney.
Contact the Pittsburgh Pedestrian Accident Attorneys at SMT Today to Schedule Your Free Consultation
After establishing that you are okay and stable, call our attorneys at SMT Legal. We offer free consultations to discuss your situation because we care about your story and situation. We believe that each of our clients deserves aggressive representation with an empathetic ear. If you or a loved one has been injured in a pedestrian accident, contact one of our Pittsburgh pedestrian accident attorneys today for a free consultation.