If you or your loved one were the victims of a serious injury or wrongful death was the result of a catastrophic injury, you may be able to collect compensation for your injuries, as well as pain and suffering and lost wages.
Serious injuries can include amputations, spinal cord injuries, birth injuries, concussions, brain injuries, knee injuries, serious burns, back and neck injuries, or injuries that result in wrongful death.
Understanding Serious Injuries in Pittsburgh
Serious injuries are often called catastrophic injuries, and they can significantly alter a person’s way of life. In general, a catastrophic injury is one that creates a temporary or permanent disability for a victim or one that causes permanent scarring or disfigurement.
- Spinal cord injury:Unfortunately, spinal cord injuries are not uncommon in the Pittsburgh area. The National Spinal Cord Injury Statistical Center shows that there are approximately 18,000 new spinal cord injury cases each year in the country. Researchers say that the first year of medical costs to treat a spinal cord injury can reach more than one million dollars.
- Traumatic brain injury: Millions of people suffer from traumatic brain injuries each year, according to the CDC. These injuries can significantly alter a person’s physical and cognitive abilities.
- Amputation injuries:Losing a limb is a life-altering event that can significantly impact a person’s ability to work or enjoy the activities they are accustomed to. Amputation injuries range from losing fingers, hands, and feet to a partial or total loss of arms and legs.
- Severe burns: Burn injuries occur in a variety of ways, including fires, explosions, hazardous chemicals, and more. Severe burns can be incredibly painful and often lead to a victim needing excessive rehabilitation in order to make a full recovery. Burn injury victims are also prone to significant infections while they recover.
- Birth injuries: Many birth injuries are caused by the negligence of medical professionals. A birth injury can have a significant impact on a child’s life, including their physical and cognitive impairment.
- Significant scarring and disfigurement: There are various types of injuries that can lead to disfigurement and scarring for a victim. When a person’s appearance has changed due to an injury caused by another person, the injury victim is much more likely to suffer from long term emotional and psychological harm.
At SMT Legal, our attorneys also help families who have lost loved ones due to catastrophic injuries. Our Pittsburgh wrongful death attorneys will provide compassionate and skilled assistance to ensure you receive closure and compensation for what happened.
Most Common Causes of Pittsburgh Catastrophic Injuries
At SMT Legal, our severe injury attorneys in Pittsburgh regularly help clients who have sustained injuries in a variety of ways. This includes, but is not limited to, the following:
- Car accidents
- Truck accidents
- Motorcycle accidents
- Pedestrian and bicycle accidents
- Construction site injuries
- Workplace injuries
- Medical negligence
- Defective products
- Property owner negligence and more
This is not an all-inclusive list, so if you do not see the mechanism of your injury here, please contact our personal injury attorneys in Pittsburgh so we can provide you with a free consultation of your case.
Filing a Claim Against a Negligent Party
Each state is responsible for setting time limits for how long victims have to file personal injury lawsuits against the person that caused them harm. The Pennsylvania personal injury statute of limitations is two years. This means that an injury victim generally has a two-year window with which to file a lawsuit against an alleged negligent party, or they will lose the ability to recover any compensation for their losses. There are some exceptions to this statute of limitations, so please speak to your Pittsburgh personal injury attorney immediately.
What Kind of Compensation is Available for a Pittsburgh Personal Injury Case?
Whether you were injured in an accident or due to medical malpractice, our Pittsburgh personal injury attorneys are here to help answer your questions and provide the assistance you need in order to get the maximum compensation that is owed to you, including:
- Past and future medical expenses
- Current and future lost wages
- Emotional distress
- Pain and suffering
- Loss of quality of life
When someone suffers from a serious injury, his or her entire family is affected by the catastrophe. Long-term care and chronic pain, as well as depression and a loss of quality of life, are enough to deal with: you should not have to worry about how you will pay for the effects of the disaster, especially if someone else was at fault for the injury.
At SMT Legal, we will give your case the personal attention you deserve and do everything possible to get money and compensation for your injury and its aftermath.The goal of our experienced and aggressive Pittsburgh injury lawyers is to get the maximum compensation you deserve. Schedule a free consultation with us to see how we can help you. We handle all personal injury cases on a contingency basis, which means we don’t get paid unless you get paid.